Anyway, if I was talented in that area and I had become famous (can you tell I've thought about this), then when asked, I could say my influences were NANCY GRIFFITH (it doesn't get any sweeter sounding than that song), JOHN PRINE (the best storyteller ever), and there's nothing better than the two of them TOGETHER. Yes, Nancy looks rather homely in her video and the sound of Prine and Griffith together is rather twangy, but it does it for me. And for that I won't apologize.
Somebody else who is a favorite of mine, and of my friend Denise in Atlanta, is MALCOLM HOLCOMBE. He's from North Carolina, and he is a strange character. Years and years ago, pre-Tom and therefore pre-Jackson, I'd go down to Douglas Corner to see Malcolm. He always looked like he just rolled out of the backseat of his car, his jacket all crumpled up, his hair greasy, smoking like a freight train, eyes glassy. And he would chew gum and give it a workout while he was singing and sometimes spit would fly. My friend Matt used to say we should wear some sort of visor with a protective spit guard on it, because I always wanted to sit close. I saw a video of Malcolm on YouTube that was recent, and it appears now that he has no teeth or something. He was telling a story and it sounded like he had no teeth in his head. Sad.
I'm figuring out that I seem to be a closet hippie of sorts, according to my taste in music, and that if I had been in my 20s in the '70s, I would have been harvesting my own vegetables on some commune out west probably. Okay, I'm obviously getting tired and loopy, so I'm going to turn in now.
Sorry for the no-picture post. Pa-paw and Ma-maw are coming on Saturday, so I should have some pictures by Monday!
Until next time...















No comments:
Post a Comment